Flag Pound Cake with Mixed Berries
This light and healthy cake is great to make with kiddos as a break from the heat of summer. There are plenty of steps to make sure that every kid has a turn at cracking an egg or mixing the cake. As I was trying out the recipe, I found that you should buy more than six eggs, as it is easy to drop one on the floor. If your local supermarket does not have cake flour in stock, it is simple to make at home (for every cup of all-purpose flour, remove 2 tablespoons of flour and replace them with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch). The Greek yogurt and eggs add some additional protein to the cake so you don’t feel so guilty having a slice. We hope you enjoy this making this patriotic cake as a fun summer activity or for a family gathering.
For the Cake:
- 1 cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of softened unsalted butter
- 3 cups of sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups of cake flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
For the Icing:
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 2-3 cups of sliced fresh strawberries
- Cream the sugar and butter in a stand mixer or large bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed until mixture is pale yellow.
- Turn the mixer to low and add eggs one at a time until incorporated, scraping edges of the bowl as needed.
- Add extracts to wet mixture.
- Slowly add flour and baking soda until thoroughly mixed
- Add Greek yogurt and mix until incorporated.
- Coat a 9”x13” metal cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into the pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- For the icing: In a stand mixer or a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, yogurt, and vanilla on medium speed until smooth and combined.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake. Arrange blueberries in the top left-hand corner of the cake to represent the stars on the American Flag. Arrange sliced strawberries in rows. Leaving white rows of bare icing in between each row to represent the red and white stripes on the American flag. Refrigerate until ready to serve.