Eat Clean, Stay Lean: Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
These zucchini boats are kid-friendly, folks! Now that zucchini season is just around the corner, I wanted to feature a healthy and low carb recipe that uses one of my favorites: zucchini!
Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Serves 8 | Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 35 min
- 1 ¼ cups of marinara sauce
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 14oz lean chicken sausage
- ½ cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- 8 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil.
2. Preheat oven to 400°.
3. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using spoon, scoop our flesh, leaving ¼” thick. Chop the scooped out flesh of the zucchini in small pieces and set aside.
4. Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water.
5. Place ¼ cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12” baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
6. In a large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up as it cooks into smaller pieces until browned, set aside.
7. Heat oil and add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook about 2-3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.
8. Using a spoon, fill each hollowed zucchini with 1/3 cup cooked sausage, pressing firmly. Top each with 2 tablespoons each of sauce, 1 tablespoon each of shredded mozzarella cheese and 1 teaspoon each of parmesan cheese.
9. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
Nutrition (per boat)
153 cal | 7g total fat | 372mg sodium | 9g total carbs | 2g sugar | 2g fiber | 12.8g protein | 4 Smart Points
Recipe is from Skinnytaste.com